Thursday, April 9, 2009

Take care of your ankles people!

That's good advice too.

And this is coming from someone who has some experience with bad ankles... lets see, I started playing basketball when I was about 8, played some soccer and eventually volleyball. All that to say that I have rolled both of my ankles more than a few times. Its to the point now where if I'm walking and I step wrong, they'll roll. And it doesn't hurt. Oh, and I can basically stand on the sides of my feet. Not a good thing. "Why is she telling me this?" you may be wondering. Well, I have decided to get myself back into shape and I have been running a bit more. I have been having some knee issues (in that it starts hurting about when I hit the 2 mile marker) that I finally broke down and got it checked out. The doctor said it could be one of 2 things: a bursa sack issue (under the knee cap, its sort of the same thing that Peyton Manning had to have surgery for last summer) or runners knee. He thinks its the latter, but isn't sure as it requires xrays and possibly an mri to see the bursa sack. So, we went with the runners knee diagnosis for now. Why do I have said runners knee? Because I overpronate (my feet roll inward as I take a step) and this is caused by my bad ankles. I now wear a knee brace when I run, have to do some extra streches and ice my knee when it gets bad. So, all that to say, take care of your ankles, they impact your whole leg.

I know that was random, but it was all I could think about on my run today.

What else have we been up to? Clearly, we had an interesting weekend last weekend (see below if you don't know what I am talking about...), Kyle has been flying and is leaving again Saturday, and when he has been home, we have been doing some landscaping to our front yard. We have plans for the back too but it is going to be some intense stuff (read: possibly extending our patio, making a few new flower beds and planting a tree or two) so that is going to wait a little. I am also going to paint our foyer and hallways while Kyle is on his next trip.

My family also visited while my brothers were on spring break. That was good, we had a lot of fun!

Stay tuned for some fun things: On April 18th, we are having a Low Country Aggie Muster, April 25th I am going on a C-17 spouses ride, and lastly... I am heading back to Texas in a little over a month, with Kyle following behind me a week after that! I am beyond excited! I miss the Republic!

I will leave you with some pictures that I have failed to post in the past, mostly random ones.


Kyle at the beach (a year ago, but we went to the beach with my family and I didn't get any pictures, so here is the beach):

Mugsy opening his Christmas present (I just saw this and thought it was cute):


And the Angel Oak here in Charleston, said to be the biggest tree east of the Mississippi:


1 comment:

Chris said...

You could always get ankle insurance. Apparently Kobe sells it. See here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPnRFkPWyDM