Saturday, July 16, 2011

Months 8 and 9

Oh man.  I can't believe I let this go so long.  Yes I can.  If you want to know the reason, see the post below.

Anyway, as Jackson nears his 11 month mark, I figure I should update what he has been up to the past few (10 will be in a separate post).  Especially before I forget, as they already run together a little bit.

8 Months:

At the beginning of this month, it was Daddy's birthday!  Daddy decided to share his birthday "treat", chocolate covered strawberries (no cake this year, we went out to dinner and we didn't need a cake around) and he loved it!  Kid loves his food and really enjoys meal time.  He eats 4 jars of baby food a day, and over the month went from 2 nursing sessions a day (one in the morning and one at night) and two bottles to one nursing session and 3 bottles.  I can't really say what his favorite food is, he loves it all.  I would say he likes the fruits better than the veggies in general, but he doesn't object to veggies.  I also started giving him cheerios towards the end of the month and he can't get enough of those.

He still loves to play with his toys.  He jumps like a champ in his jumper still and he also likes to play with his blocks.  This mostly consists of him taking them out of the bucket, but he will bang them together too.  We also got him a little music table that he can stand (lean) on and he really likes that too.  I got it in hopes that it would help him learn to pull up when he is ready.

He started sleeping better at night as well.  He still takes his two naps and will now sleep 11-12 hours at night (most of the time without waking up) yay!  Daddy was home most of this month and, in addition to his birthday, we celebrated Easter!  I made Jackson his first Easter basket, since this was the first holiday that he was actually (in my eyes) big enough to do stuff for.  His bucket had a little stuffed rabbit (which, I know has nothing to do with Easter.  In fact, why does a rabbit bring eggs?  They don't lay eggs.  Baffling...)  Anyway, his basket had the rabbit, a VeggieTales dvd about Easter, and some plastic eggs that I put rice and dried beans in so that he could shake them.  The eggs were by far his favorite.

He also has a third tooth; another bottom one.  He still really loves the dogs and watched them all the time.  He also went to his (and my) first air show!  I was helping work a booth, and it was all totally lost on him, but he was there.  He still isn't crawling, just a lot of backwards moving.  He gets frustrated with that after a while because he actually wants to go forward, but it will come.

Here is the little man on his 8 month birthday:

9 Months:

Most of his 9th month was spent in Texas.  Kyle left for a trip earlier than we thought, so Jackson and I went back to Texas earlier than planned too!  It was an interesting road trip with a more active baby and 2 dogs, and I am really thankful my mom came out to help me with the drive!  We stayed in Texas for a couple if weeks to see my brothers graduate college, flew back to SC when Daddy got back from his trip and hang out with him, and flew back to Texas to see one of my brothers get married (technically that was during his 10th month, but ok).

This month was an all around busy month, aside from the traveling.  He gave up that last nursing time and went to only bottles.  Part of me felt a little guilty, but the other part of me was glad to be finished.  I had originally started to wean him because Kyle and I were going to go on a baby-free vacation, but his deployment got moved up and by the time we knew this, there was no going back.  So we are now on all formula.  He still eats his 4 jars of food a day, plus his cheerios.  We also tried some new things this month:  yogurt for one (which he LOVES), and we are at the beginning stages of real finger foods.  He has eaten chicken, watermelon, and beans.  I think he likes it.

He still plays with his toys, but the big thing this month was that he learned to crawl and pull up!  At one point I thought he was going to give up crawling and go straight to walking, but once he figured it out, he was a pretty happy camper.  He had been pulling his knees up under him for a while, and it took him almost all month to figure out how to take "steps" rather than just plop forward (it looked like he was doing a weird version of the worm).  Before we came back, Kyle lowered his crib mattress for him.  He is such a big boy and is growing so fast!  He also went swimming for the first time.Considering how much he likes his baths, I figured it would go over well and it did!  We got him a little float to sit in and he had a good time.  While we were in Texas the first time, he also got to meet his friend Holland, who at 5, almost 6, months old was basically the same size as Jackson.  Holland is one of my very dear friend's son (we met in Del Rio and have stayed in touch since).  I miss them dearly and hope this small Air Force brings our families to the same city again sometime!  

When it was time to come back to SC, Jackson took his first plane rides!  After that experience, I will do everything I can to fly direct.  He did fine on the flights themselves, but he didn't nap.  At all.  He was just so tired and it was such a long day.  But we made it.  And he was so happy to see Kyle.  He just loves his Daddy!  After we got back, he had his 9 month well check.  He got one shot, that he handled well, and the doctor said his top teeth were "bulging" and would probably be in soon!  He weighed 19.2lbs and was 29" long.  Our tall, skinny boy.  I wonder where he gets it ;)

Our little baby is turning into such a big boy!  Here he is on his 9 month birthday:

No comments: