Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Mixed emotion...

Last night, history was made. What a great country that we live in that a black man was elected as commander in chief of a country who once didn't even recognize the rights of blacks as humans. That friends, is amazing and encouraging for all Americans, not just blacks. I am proud, as an American, to show the rest of the world just how far we have come.

I only wish this historical event would have put someone more conservative, more experienced/well known, someone other than Barack Obama. I have great trepidation for the next 4 years. Fear for businesses and the people that work for those businesses, as raising taxes on them will result in higher cost of goods, loss of jobs and for those who keep their jobs, loss of benefits. I also fear for the safety of our country. When you hear congressional leaders like Barney Frank (who is on the house finance committee) call for a cut in defense spending by 25%, that should frighten every American to their core. What many people don't know is that there is so much more to defense spending than just the wars. All of those funds go towards keeping you and me safe. I hope and pray these things will not come to pass.

That being said, the reality is Barack Obama will be the next president of the United States of America. That makes him our leader (and coincidentally, my husband's boss) for at least 4 years. Even though I may not agree with his views on certain things, as I Christian, I am commanded to submit to the leadership placed over me. Hebrews 13 states,"Obey your leaders and submit to their authority. They keep watch over you as men who must give an account. Obey them so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no advantage to you." (Heb. 13:17). I will pray for our new leadership, that they will speak for the people and not their own agendas, but my hope is ultimately not in our president, our government, or even in America. My hope is in the one true King, Christ Jesus, who is on His throne watching over His people.

So, congratulations to Barack Obama and all who were elected last night. See you in 2012.

1 comment:

SoHappyTogether said...

Great post, Amy. --Laura Preston