Every now and again I take advantage of this blog and use it as a personal platform for my thoughts on various subjects. This is one of those posts and it will not hurt my feelings if you skip it. One of Kyle's posts is inevitably more amusing.
Friendship can be a very difficult aspect of life sometimes, especially for girls. It seems that girls in general have no problem attracting the attention of boys. Finding the right one proves to be a more difficult task. I, thankfully, have completed that task. Finding (and keeping) friends seems to be a much more difficult endeavor. I count myself as extremely lucky and so very thankful that there are a few girls in this world that I regard as true friends; they are like sisters to me. One I have known for quite a long time - since childhood, and the others, while we have only just met in the past couple of years, it seems as though we have known each other for much longer. I am so very thankful for each of these girls in my life because they are such an encouragement to me and bring a certain joy to life that only a friend can.
But I am also thankful because there are people that I once knew as "friend" and they are not such anymore. It is not to say that I do not like these people anymore, but more to say that I don't really know them anymore. Those instances brought much grief that maybe only another girl can understand. And as those wounds heal, it makes it even harder [for me] to entrust my friendship in others along the way. What is to say that they will not someday become mere acquaintances, and in doing so cause more hurt? It is a fear that is difficult to overcome, after being ingrained in me as it has. I want to make it clear, however, that I do not bear any ill will against anyone really. I [choose to] have nothing but fond memories of anyone from my past. But wounds inflicted from such losses have been deep, and I thank God that I am able to learn from the One who forgives perfectly, and I am able to forgive: both myself for the wrongs I have issued, as well as the wrongs issued against me. Not an easy task, but my Savior takes over where I fail, and by His grace I forgive and move on.
The fear of leaving behind old friends and making new ones is only heightened by being a part of the military. Ours is a constantly changing environment and even if I am staying put, others are not. There is always someone leaving and another coming in to take their place, which makes me even more thankful for my few true friends, as they are a constant. I currently do not live anywhere near any of these ladies, but none the less, I am confident of their friendship. They provide stability and familiarity to an ever changing environment. So, as cheesy as it is, thank you girls, you know who you are :). The blessings you bring to my life mean more than you know.
"I thank my God in all my remembrance of you" -Philippians 1:3
Tuesday, June 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Love your post. Brought tears to my eyes! I know how it feels to lose friends as well - its not an easy thing. That is why I am so thankful for you! You are a blessing! Miss you and love you! Talk soon -
Amy :)
Well put Amy. I feel as if I have gone through (and it seems to be an ongoing thing) the very same thing. I am such a protector of my friendship. Sometimes I feel that is good, because then I do not get hurt as much, but sometimes I feel it as a curse. I see so many girls our age with so many girlfriends. But then I think, how many really know each other. Really know. I think the Lord blesses us throughout our many stages in life with people that are meant to just be "friends for now", but those that he blesses us with as life long friends, those are the relationships to cultivate and grow. Take care of yourself and hang in there! :) Lauren
Post a Comment