Saturday, June 7, 2008

Kung Fu Panda Takes Down Altus

On Thursday, June 7, Kung Fu Panda, in the form of severe thunderstorms and tornado activity, ravaged the town of Altus, OK. However, the voice behind this panda bear was not that of Jack Black, but the very voice of God Himself. I call it Kung Fu Panda because that is the movie I attempted to see yesterday, but the theater has no electricity just like me. That and this storm kicked butt in a kung fu way that only Keanu Reeves can emulate (meaning it sucked).

This occasion found me, like so many other nights, in the comforts of my couch watching tv, where my laughter from Last Comic Standing was rudely interrupted by chief meteorologist “Who-gives-a-crap.” The last thing I recall before the blackout was a fierce string of red storm activity headed our way. Soon after a siren went off, it was alarming. I thought to myself, “This can’t possibly be a tornado siren. That only happens in small, predominately agricultural, mid-west American towns…wait a sec!” So like all good intentioned mid-west folk, I went for the front door, which took all of three steps in this dorm room fit for a king. I stepped outside and behold the shear force of meso-cyclonic activity unfolding in the sky above. What came to follow were gale force winds unlike anything I have ever experienced and, unlike a good mid-westerner, I was not equipped with my camera. I was in luck though, for today would not pass with out giving me a second chance as round two was just around the corner. So when the siren sounded again I stood ready with camera in hand. Yeah it was frightening and yeah I even thought I should probably seek some shelter, but years of televised tornado hunter influence would carry me on.

What lay in the aftermath of this kung-fu-kickin’ storm were misplaced rooftops, uprooted trees, and the typical shuffling of mobile homes. This panda also stole my electricity and has yet to return it. It has been two days now and let me tell you that as a 21st century American I don’t know how much more I can take. While others took for the big city for a weekend full of electricity and conditioned air, I decided to “weather” it out; somewhat of a regrettable decision. I know you are all wondering, if I have no power then how am I making this post. Well folks, it seems that no amount of misfortune will put Starbucks out of business or Wal-mart for that matter. And thus perpetuates my love/hate relationship with giant American corporations. I am truly rambling now.

I’ve been told it will be Monday before power is restored, that’s four days folks. So as I sweat myself to sleep tonight I urge you all to take a little more appreciation for our seemingly vital comforts of life.











The much anticipated home video coming soon!

2 comments:

Kaylie said...

Wow! So weird to see pics of places we've lived before from a storm's aftermath. I feel for you Kyle; having to suffer without electricity. But at least you have Starbucks to keep you entertained!

Anonymous said...

Nice video! It had much awesomeness.