Monday, September 8, 2008

So every military family has to have "that story" about a move that went horrifically wrong. I hope beyond hope that this last move was our "story".

We received all our boxes; no problem (though I was worried about some high value items that look very appealing in their boxes...). But no worries, we got it all. Then they move on to the furniture. [Side note: If you aren't military, if they disassemble any furniture when they pack you, the have to reassemble it when they deliver your items]. Ok, first they lost some screws to my console table, but I wasn't worried about that. One trip to Lowes and that's fixed. When they start to assemble my bedroom furniture, they broke one of the screws that holds the side board to the head board because they were trying to force it. Again, no big deal about replacing the screw, we were already planning our trip to Lowes to get the screws for the console table anyway. But the forcing of things, not ok. That's how you end up splitting wood or something. So Kyle stepped in and kindly helped the guy with the assembly of the bed. While Kyle and guy #1 were putting the bed together, guy #2 decides to attempt to reattach a mirror that goes on my dresser. He used the wrong screws (because our completely incompetent packers didn't distinguish what screws went to what furniture, they just dumped them in a box) and Kyle offered him his power drill to make things easier. [He did this because guy #2 didn't have a screw driver that fit some of the screws that ended up being the right ones]. Baaad idea. The concept of "gentle" probably never occurred to this guy. He made some pretty awful noises with the drill and even though he didn't install the mirror right, we weren't about to tell him for fear that he would do more harm than good trying to fix it. So Kyle and I fixed it after they left. Again, nothing we couldn't handle.

Then, after the idea of having my bedroom back after 6 long months was so tangible, they bring in our mattress and I can immediately tell that something is wrong by the look on guy #2's face. He then proceeds to show me an area on our mattress that had some spots that were a lovely shade of green. Yes folks, our mattress was moldy. It was completely gross (and obviously was not like that before). They took it out of the house and took it back to their warehouse because they aren't allowed to leave any kind of mold in the house. I know what y'all are thinking...you're stuff was in storage for 6 months...shouldn't you expect something like that? Well, let me offer up these little factoids for you: 1) The head guy for the crew moving in our stuff has never seen anything like that in 24 years and 2) I specifically asked our packers to wrap it in plastic and they told me no. So, no, I didn't expect anything like that. The good news is, our claim is already in process and it sounds like they are going to just going to replace it. At first, they were talking about treating it and getting it back to us which, of course, was completely unacceptable to me. So, hopefully we will have word that we can get a new one soon (which may be wishful thinking), but I am tired of sleeping in the guest room (thank goodness we have one though!).

Lets see...what else? They dented the lid of our washing machine so badly that the switch that tells the machine the lid is closed doesn't work. So, in order to get the washing machine to work I have to duct tape a screwdriver to the lid. They are going to fix that too, but its pretty funny, when I post pics of the house, I will post one of that. I think its amusing. They ripped our box springs up, but they are still usable. I can't think of anything else at the moment, just some minor bruises on things that go along with moving. But nothing in the boxes was broken or anything, so that's good.

Is that good enough to be our moving horror story?

No comments: